Aversan Inc. is a multi-service engineering firm specializing in design, build, testing, certification, and support services for embedded flight and rail systems & software, health technology, and advanced IT.
- Provide RAMS engineering expertise and analysis in the development and implementation of Advanced Train Control Systems;
- Perform safety design, analysis, modeling and simulation to specify and verify train control systems developed at Thales are safe to operate;
- Define ATC System Safety Requirements;
- Analyze and evaluate designs to verify compliance with safety requirements;
- Track and record the closure of all processes & tests that verify the safety of the delivered hardware and software;
- Perform peer review of key safety deliverables and artifacts;
- Review of all Safety Risk; Safety Hazard; and Pending Hazard SCRs related to their product and/or projects to ensure consistent and thorough assessment and analysis by Project Safety Specialists, and to ensure safety defects with broader implications are cloned and managed correctly;
- Represent Safety in technical meetings involving safety-related issues. Participate in, influence and approve design decisions impacting or potentially impacting safety. Attend the bi-monthly Systems Technical Review for their respective Product and/or Project areas;
- Review of the Hazard Log and associated Hazard Analysis performed on the CBTC equipment;
- Train, lead and supervise junior members of the Rams Engineering Group;
- Identify with adequate anticipation risks and opportunities and propose mitigation actions;
- Prepare system & subsystem safety requirement specifications, interface requirements and test requirements by analyzing and decomposing customer requirements;
- Technical trade off evaluations are performed to identify the system safety engineering design choices with associated advantages and disadvantages;
- Evaluate the compliance and safety of designs with safety engineering requirements by review of technical specifications, designs & designs changes for both HW and SW, and suggests design alternatives where appropriate to enhance safety based on a knowledge of design feasibility & the safety requirements. Represent RAMS Engineering, and provides evaluations & recommendations with respect to safety in formal design reviews;
- Propose Work Package estimates and descriptions based on knowledge of the work and project requirements. The work is estimated based on an assessment of what is needed to meet customer requirements;
- Define safety requirements by evaluating & defining railway operational hazards that could be caused by the ATC system;
- Verify the safety of both hardware and software products and the system by performing:
- Failure Modes Effects & Criticality Analysis (FMECA) - Fault Tree Analysis (FTA), and
- Hazard Analysis - Event Tree Analysis - Operating & Support Hazard Analysis (O&SHA);
- Assure that safety requirements are met by participating in hardware, software and field testing (as required).
- Supervise other Safety Engineers and consultants by defining their work, coaching them on how and what to prepare, monitoring their progress, and directing them on priorities
- Supervise consultants by defining their work, coaching them on who and what to prepare, monitoring their progress and directing them on priorities.
- Resolve safety related issues by participating in the Safety Committee, as required.
- Ensures that safety can be verified. Approval of test documentation
- Prepare Safety Reports that document that Project Safety requirements have been met. Safety test procedures & test results are reviewed and checked to confirm compliance with the requirements. Software process records, operational restrictions and safety analyses are similarly reviewed, checked and identified in the report.
- Report directly to the Manager RAMS Engineering, having direction from the Group Lead RAMS Engineering and Technical Safety Specialist, and work closely with other team members, both inside the Safety team and from other functional teams, to meet the project objectives.
- Bachelor Degree in Electrical, Electronics Engineering or equivalent;
- 5+ years’ of experience working in Engineering development for main line Railway/Subway companies;
- 3+ years’ of hands-on experience working with Safety concepts/ principles/ standards/ methodologies/ activities;
- 3+ years’ experience using Hardware knowledge to read electronic schematics for HW subsystems (radio TV);
- Hands-on experience with schematic review and testing;
- 3+ years of hands on experience doing/conducting Technical defects risk analysis (failure modes effect analysis/FTA);
- Experience with vital subsystems for Railway industry is an asset;
- Specific safety experience in CBTC system and sub system level is an asset;
- Experience in main line or urban rail operations is an asset;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.